Thursday, February 04, 2010

An apple a day keeps the wages away

I just bought a new phone, and unlike three quarters of adland I decided against the iPhone.

Partly because I hate owning the same thing as everyone else, partly because the spec isn't actually that great, partly because everyone says I should buy one, but mostly because it is so unbelievably expensive.

Don't get me wrong, I love apple's products. They are smart, well thought out and look great. It's just that the price premiums involved are so great as to make it pretty damn obvious that I am paying for a name, and for the rapidly diminishing 'cool' of owning one.

Let's take the iPad. A gigantic iPhone with no phone.

Steve Jobs said things are meant to do 'something' better, that web books do nothing better!! (cue hysterical laughter). So a laptop with no keyboard, no flash support (web books have that); or a phone with no phone or camera is better?

A colleague described it today as the ultimate pron viewing device. Maybe that is a USP to kill for, I doubt it...
Essentially I am frustrated with apple treating the mass market like the apple hardcore. Traditionally apple products have always been better than the alternative, but as they keep stretching it is starting to feel a bit like they are running on brand alone. Just beware you don't pop your own bubble apple.

10 comments:

David Buckley said...

So, what did you get?

Rob Mortimer (aka Famous Rob) said...

Sony Ericcson Satio.

The 12mp camera and dual flash did it for me. After 18 months with Windows Mobile I LOVE Symbian.

karl escritt said...

I think the whole giant iphone thing is just the media trying its knock them down trick.
I think you shouldnt be so sceptical as if you look at it for what it is i.e a net book which is more mobile and look at how most people use the internet i.e facebook / email, it makes total sense. Hey it looks like an iphone, but is that really a bad thing?

Rob Mortimer (aka Famous Rob) said...

To some extent it is, but when you cha4rge such a huge price premium it is understandable that people expect the best from your brand.

Thing is though, for the inconvenience of it (and risk of damaging the screen) it seems like what I actually need is a laptop with touch screen. Also one of my apple loving colleagues mentioned how even he was getting fed up of apple leaving features out that then get added into an "upgraded" version 6 months later.

Cheshire Cat said...

I had one of the first HP tablet laptops a few years ago and I reckon the updated version of that would be ace. It had a very clever swizzly keyboard plus a touchscreen. Am inclined to agree with you on the iPad - not useful enough.

Robert said...

I hate the iPhone.

Well I hate the keypad, it's totally shit but at least the apps let it be a new phone everyday.

Saying that I still love SONY Ericsson, but don't you find the Satio touchscreen a tad unresponsive.

Baz is bringing me an iPad to check out tonight - I am practicing my fake smile right now.

Rob Mortimer (aka Famous Rob) said...

It's better than my HTC diamond, and the camera/flash is just unbelievably good. I miss Windows Mobile not one jot.

Hannah Harper said...

I liek the Ipad, its a nice design, but the price right now is still too steep.

Anonymous said...

The idea of a planner making a rational consumer choice is the most fabulous irony, don't you think?

Rob Mortimer (aka Famous Rob) said...

Even perception of features can be influenced emotionally!