I'll make no bones about it, the Old Spice video work online over the past day or two has been nothing short of staggering. The kind of quick, witty dialogue that defines the very best of what we can do as agencies online. The very definition of viral content. Well done W+K.
I do worry though that some agencies will take the wrong message from it; and start trying to imitate the style or end up bombarding people with bad content.
Here's my view on what Old Spice did right:
1. Get the tone of voice perfected, then perfect it some more
2. Be personal. Talk to individuals as well as the mass audience
3. Have a client with creative understanding that is prepared to let the agency develop 1+2
4. Have a damn good creative idea in the first place
5. If you get lots of contacts, make lots of replies
6. Go where people are, don't force them to come to you
7. Don't over complicate
8. Don't outstay your welcome