Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Crappy Customer Service Part XXVI

I hate ranting about bad customer service but I have experience so much of it recently that it needs doing.

I find it staggering how many online retailers forget that the whole point of online is doing things quickly; sites for whom 24 hours is an appropriate time for an email response.

Today's pain in the fucking backside is Direct2Drive.co.uk - A download gaming site owned by the media company IGN.

Anyone who uses Steam will know that outside of sales, buying download games costs a fortune compared to instore or boxed prices; but D2D had a couple of brilliant offers on Dirt 2 and Split/Second.

I ordered the games and went to pay for them, but mistakenly used a credit card that had been cancelled. They don't accept cdebit cards so my wife retried using her credit card. It came up that I needed to contact them, so (with no telephone number around) I emailed them.


...


The next day an email arrived saying they were looking into it... Several hours later an email said I should retry the purchase. So I went to do so, except that the offer had finished and the games were now 4 times the price, and they hadn't saved the basket at all.

I emailed back explaining this, and (16hours later) got an (admittedly very polite) email saying: "I regret the sale you are inquiring about has ended. We have many exciting sale prices for games on a regular basis, with many top titles to choose from, so please check back often!"


Yeah... Direct2drive.co.uk you can fuck right off, I'm going to Steam.

2 comments:

David Mortimer said...

And that's why Steam has no real competition.

Was the number in their name not a clue?

Rob Mortimer (aka Famous Rob) said...

Yes, I was wary but as it was owned by IGN I thought it would be ok.

Plus £10.88 for [both] Dirt 2 (£14.99 on Steam) and Split/Second (£14.99 on steam) was too good to miss... I thought