Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Clean Design...

I've always loved design. Though i'm not a brilliant designer, its something i've always enjoyed looking at and studying. Having just bought one I feel obliged to write about my favourite piece of product design in quite a while:

The Indesit Moon Washing Machine
(image from Dixons)

What I love about it is that not only does it look unusual and modern; but that most of the more radical design features are based upon improving thefunctionality of the product. The door is solid as it houses the detergent dispenser, removing the need for a drawer (which is such a rubbish device I cant believe its been used for so long).

The controls are so simple, and light up so you can clearly see both what setting you are on and how long is left (it counts down like an old schools tv clock).

It looks fantastic, and has so many great little touches. If only more white goods had this design care lavished upon them...

10 comments:

Doug said...

looks great. unfortunately, in my experience, the build quality and reliability of indesit machines is appalling.

hopefully they've sorted this all out as well as packing it in a great veneer, otherwise it counts for nob all.

sorry - that was a bit ranty. i've had some extremely bad indesit experiences ;o)

Rob Mortimer (aka Famous Rob) said...

I hope not!
They never seemed to break down more than any other machines when I sold them...

We used to get people come in and say "I'm never buying a Bosch/AEG/top of the line brand again, they always break down." ..if it happens to Bosch it happens to any brand!

As they are now in the same company as Hotpoint I hope they have improved anyway... Hotpoint have always been good in my/my parents experience.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I never realised how much washing machine drawers upset me aesthetically speaking until I saw this machine. It's one of those little things that can make an enormous difference to how I feel about a product - a beautifully elegant simplification.

As a researcher, I wonder who stumbled upon the insight that washing machine drawers suck, and how.

Doug said...

i'm sure it'll be fine - probably just my bad luck!

Rob Mortimer (aka Famous Rob) said...

Thanks Helen, its such an obvious thing yet somehow drawers are still here...

Its what I like about the machine, its simplified design as part of simplified functionality.

No worries Doug ;)

David Mortimer said...

It does lose the safety of being able to check your clothes aren't turning pink though...

Rob Mortimer (aka Famous Rob) said...

True. But if you are that stupid as to think red socks go in a white wash then you deserve your pinkness!

I think youd appreciate the pulsing blue lights and countdown lights Davorino.

Doug said...

rob - you're in campaign best of the blogs this week... well done!

Rob Mortimer (aka Famous Rob) said...

Thanks Doug :)
Posted on it now!

SchizoFishNChimps said...

It looks like a stonking great iPod.