Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Courage... and not the Bitter

After reading one of Rob's posts (as usual) I was inspired to post about determination and braveness to take risks; as although its rarely spoken of, you need a LOT of determination to get into advertising.

I realised two things:

1. The vast majority of people I admire and get involved with in ad-land are those who take risks for the sake of better work and better results. Maybe thats because some of them are in ex HHCL child agencies; or maybe its just because thats how advertisers should be.

Think of the best ads you can remember, then think of the most effective ads that inspired you to act, the odds are they all took risks to be that good. Whether a budget risk, media format risk, message risk, or execution risk; not taking risks will always (over time) result in a level field of mediocrity.

2. I never thought about how much determination I have had to put in to getting an ad job, and I dont even have one yet!

I had to find out about the industry myself after university. I have spent hours and hours blogging and talking to people about advertising. I was part of the group that started the Northern Planning Meetings. I started this blog which I update every week at least. (for example, now is my lunch break).

I have a good job. I have a nice house. I get paid pretty well and know I can earn more over the coming years; yet I am still trying every day to learn more about advertising to help me get a job in adland.

I hope I can keep that same determination once I get that job. I also hope you wont let me stop being that way!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post - and not just because of the 'name check'.

I genuinely believe you have a talent and knowledge that already puts you ahead of many people already employed as planners - so do not [and I am sure you won't] lose faith because it will happen and the industry will be all the better for it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks :)

The support of people who read this blog (esp you guys and Russell) have made it much easier to keep the faith.

Besides. If I dont get anything I will just start doing something on my own.

Anonymous said...

Now that is exciting and I want to know what you mean by it ...

Anonymous said...

Well...

It meant pretty much what it said ;)

Though I want to work for a good ad agency and help produce great work; if I can't do that I will have to see about setting up something on my own or with some other people. That might be very (read extremely) difficult without specific experience, but if its the only way...