Thursday, February 19, 2009

Begging You For Mercy

I shall admit in advance that I don't fall into the target audience for this ad. I am male, I am over 16 years old, and I like ads to be at least in part interesting or engaging. So I am therefore unlikely to be swayed by Mamma Mia style cliche'd and contrived female pandering.

You might think I am being harsh, and I probably am. But this takes all the bad bits of the Diet Coke Break ads (female stereotypes, female faux togetherness, cheese board tackyometer) and removes the humourous payoff (I.e.: The point).

Another example of a brand ambassador ad struggling for purpose, an idea, and an execution. An ad that feels as patronising to women as the original Coke Zero ads did to men. Brand, Duffy, and agency are capable of (and have made) infinitely better, but this really lets the side down.

Someone once told me that Mother hate planners, well unfortunately for them on this evidence, they really could do with some.

Try a visit up north Coke. Look, we can do it too: *sip* Ahhhh that's darn refreshing. [PACK SHOT] *fade*.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how they say women should stand up for themselves...and all that jazz, all Diet Coke has been doing is associating itself with Sex and the City (also known as Diet in the City), women who have a lot of men, shoes and cake, fashion shows like the Paris fashion week a while ago plus many other things.

Were we ever NOT sure of that? :(

It's rubbish !

Anonymous said...

I AM target audience. I drink A LOT of the stuff. And I think the ad is rubbish too.

Do you think the song might be ever-so-slightly out of Duffy's vocal range? And what's with her plastic/shiny/sequin jumper too?

Anonymous said...

I thought the same but then didn't know whether target audience included 16-yo girls too so just wanted to exclude myself from it :P I drink it too and thought 'what the hell'..her blue tights make her bum look fat. And young girls singing along to a tune we've never heard of, now that's grand :P

Rob Mortimer (aka Famous Rob) said...

Thanks, glad its not just my gender that makes me despise this ad!

Jam said...

i am who i am because of Diet Coke, more like...

Robert said...

Mother don't hate planners - they hate suits, ha - but this ad doesn't feel like a lack of planning, it feels like a great big fat dollop of client ego .

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the ad Joss Stone did for Cadburys flake. Truly horrid, Joss is a complete retard, and so far, up her own arse even Madonna is becoming intimidated.
What is going on with Duffy’s voice? Synonymous with a paper cut.

RebeccaWho said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RebeccaWho said...

have never seen that ad before... I cant believe you just made me see it!