Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Why Newspapers Will Survive and Planning Will Change


Note: This is theory in progress, it may be flawed!!


People are still decrying the death of tv, the death of magazines, the death of newspapers. That they are history in our instant worlwide 247 internet world. But for the same reasons that social media is a pain, I expect that they will survive and that my job might change a lot as we go forward.


Here's why:


Now I can chat to everyone I have ever met. Hang on a minute, you were a tosser... I don't want to speak to you. Who is that? Social media burnout anyone (Marcus got there first btw)


I don't want everyone I know contacting me.


As I discussed at a social media panel a few months ago... the key word for the internet has become and will remain Filtration. Seperating the millions of pages of guff and giving us the bits we like. It's already taking over via feeds and selective grouping.


It's what we use search engines for. But increasingly we have to do it with our viewing of the sites we then find.


So.


Newspapers and magazines will survive because as well as liking tangible things, when there is too much data to read, we need filters. We need editing and selection. Print media can become these things.


I already do it, I read videogames blogs and news sites; but I trust Edge magazine to select the important bits and look at them critically. Just like I trust NME to do so with music.


Publications that become the critical filter instead of the news breaker might thrive.


So how does this change my job?


Well. Traditionally planning has involved lots of finding data, analysing it and interpreting it. Yet as we move onwards in web technology, we are finding more and more data from more and more sources. If this carries on then filtration of data will become a more prevalent part of our daily work. Web researching means its already easier for brands to commision research and provide more data.


Like I said, this is thought in progress. Feel free to shoot it down if you disagree.

1 comment:

nikoherzeg said...

perhaps interesting add ons to your post

http://www.zeusjones.com/blog/2009/counting-qualitative-research/

http://adcontrarian.blogspot.com/2009/08/puzzles-and-mysteries.html